My guest in this episode is David Wilner who was born in Dover, New Hampshire in 1963 on the day Dion was recording ‘Drip Drop’!
His formative years were spent between New Hampshire and Washington State, but he has subsequently lived In Ohio, Tucson, Boston, and Minneapolis as well as spending four years in the UK, indulging his Anglophilia, in the Noughties. He now resides in Prague and is adamant that he won’t be moving again.
I have always believed that travel and living away from home gives you more of a world view and that comes across strongly in David’s song choices and his reasons for making them.
He also has a host of great stories including:
· Elvis Costello providing a musical epiphany on Saturday Night Live on 17/12/77
· Breaking into the back door of a gig to see The Ramones
· Having Jonathan Richman sing to him on the sidewalk before a show
· His love of The Jam and a pilgrimage to Bracklesham Bay
· Seeing Nirvana Live on the day ‘Nevermind’ was released
In David’s own words ‘he may have spent his career in finance, but his inner punk was never far away ‘😊
David’s song choices are:
60’s Mose Allison If You’re Going to the City (1968)
70’s The Jam Saturday’s Kids
80’s Los Lobos One Time One Night
90’s Lucina Williams 2 Kool 2 Be 4-Gotten
00’s Corner Shop Soul School
10’s The Beat How Can You Stand There?
20’s Wreckless Eric & Amy Rigby Vote That Fucker Out