My guest in this episode is Richard Tooth, a colleague and friend who I have always known to have a long and deep love of music.
An extended Playlist, curated by Richard, containing almost 100 different artists is testament to the fact that Richard's tastes are wide and varied. But anyone who knows him is aware that there is one band that sits above all others for him, and they have for approaching 50 years and that is The Grateful Dead.
We talk about being a "Dead Head”, how important Bootlegs were to that community and how technology changed the production and consumption of Bootlegs over the years.
In what was a delightful conversation we also covered a whole range of other topics including:
· His epic US road trip in the 70's
· Attending Glastonbury in the 80's
· How ZZ Top led him to IBM
· A magical musical experience in a traffic jam
· Finding a musical middle ground with his son
· Discovering his next great musical love (Pearl Jam)
· The sad passing of his friend Matthew Seligman who played with Bowie at Live Aid.
Richard's Song Choices are:
· 50's - Bill Evans - Peace Piece
· 60's - Booker T & the MG's - Time Is Tight
· 70's - Grateful Dead - Friend of the Devil
· 80's - ZZ Top - Gimme All Your Lovin'
· 90's - Guru (feat. Donald Byrd) - Loungin'
· 00's - Mozart - Dove Sono (Marriage of Figaro)
· 10's - Pearl Jam - All The Way
· 20's - the Soft Boys - I Wanna Destroy You
In addition to the 57 songs and artists mentioned in the episode Richard provided a further 34 songs he wanted included. The complete (& extended) playlist can be found at :